Saturday, August 02, 2003

Why does my blogger editing screen change depending on what computer I log into? Weird.

Ready for the second installment of the SNOWIES2k3 trip? I'm still going through withdrawals. They'll go away soon... hopefully.

THIS TIME LAST WEEK: We just arrived at Blue Cow for Skiing Day 2
PRE-THAT:
 Bjorn and I managed to be the only ones with sore muscles
 We had an awesome, but fatty, breakfast
 We took some pictures that'd get Llewol in trouble if he became president *rollseyes*
 We cheered about having more van space since our bags weren't in there
 We bought some anti-freeze just in case, and didn't end up using it
 We got hit with the national park fee we managed to escape the day before
 Joe won a game of backseat chess
 We sooked about how, if we bought our lift passes at Perisher, we'd get them cheaper

The second day of skiing was definately better! It was a beautiful day, so we were all able to ski without trying to protect ourselves from pelting snow. I went down a run with the better-than-me people, came last and took the T-bar lift up with Mel.... since I mastered it with Bjorn the day before :)

Bjorn, Minh, Liv, Phil and I all joined a beginner lesson down Pleasant valley and when we got to the top again, Bjorn and I were the only ones that made it. Not really sure what happened to the others. Bjorn and I took one last run down Pleasant Valley then decided to take a break. During our break, we decided that we conquered Pleasant Valley already so we needed a challenge. We remembered Hana and Joe talking about Mt. Guthega the day before and we decided, whether we died or not, we were gonna conquer Mt. Guthega! We got a trail map and studied it carefully and went on our way.

We went down the early starter run so we could check out our route on the way back up the lift. On our way to the Guthega peak, we ran into Lily and Lowell who skiied with us to, and stacked it with us at the foot of the J-bar lift. They ultimately went ahead of us because I was slow and Bjorn and I were generally crapper than them HAHA. A J-bar and T-bar lift later we got to the top of Guthega and powered down it. It was the maddest!! We felt very accomplished after that!

We called it a day then. We met the others and went back to Perisher where we (minus Liv+Minh) decided to stick around for night skiing. We had dinner while we waited at this Italian place at Perisher.

When we got to the night skiing runs, we were told we had the wrong lift passes so most of us got discouraged and headed back to the car. I was about to truddle off until Llewol suggested we have another go at sneaking on the lifts. We made it! So five of us (LLx2, Mel, Bjorn and I) got to experience unauthorised Perisher night skiing - OOOOOH! It was an awesome run too! After two runs, consisting of two stacks each and coming last... I managed to conquer the run on my 3rd go! No falls at all!! When I got to the bottom, Bjorn decided to call it a night and head back because he was feeling too confident. The rest of us stayed for one more run. I stayed mainly because I wanted to do a no-fall run one more time.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen for me.

On my way to the top of the run after getting off the lift, I crashed into the back of Lily's skis and expected a graceful fall..... but ended up hearing icky cracking noises instead. EW! Long story short, the others got a ranger to take me down in a sled (looking as pathetic as ever) and got me checked out. I was okay... I just strained my outer left ligament pretty bad so walking was a slow and careful exercise over the next days.

From the best of my knowledge, the guys that missed out on night skiing made snowmans and had snow fights without us. The others told them to bring the van closer to where we were so I wouldn't have to walk so far to get to them. It was so funny! The van attempted a rescue... but got bogged instead! They drove into snow and couldn't get out! Luckily another stupid group of people bogged their car in, and our crew and their crew (of three!) managed to get both vans out of the snow. We headed home then........ after a 10 minute delay coz we had to look for the missing wheel brace in the snow unsuccessfully.

That night was relaxing. The shops were closed so it was alcohol free so we just played a very excited game of CHARADES. Phil taught us how to play BOK and "THE HAND GAME". I turned in around 3.30-ish and the still-awakes headed to bed an hour later (so I heard).

We were homebound the next day. We had a pancake breakfast, returned our gear and headed home. Felt very nostalgic at that point *sigh*. We had a stopover at Canberra for lunch and ended up back at Mel's safe. THE END.

I had the best three and a bit days with those people! Can't wait till next year! Seeya!

No comments: