Thursday, September 25, 2003

Just thought I'd share what I learnt today with you...

You hear a lot of people preaching independence. What does that mean to you?

Well, follow this...

We have a veeerrryyyy old Telstar that my Dad bought as a second car to drive to the station (yeh, we don't use the Tarago to go to the station. It's my Dad's baby). He's let me drive it a few times and he'd be sitting right by me, training me to gas it the right way so that it doesn't die. He coached me so that I got it started quickly and correctly if it died in the middle of a roundabout. Regardless of all that training, I still managed to kill it at least once or twice every time I used it.

He's in America for the next one and a half weeks. I still have to use the Telstar to get from A to B when someone's taking the Commodore out. I've driven it a couple of times during the week and both times, I've managed to keep it alive. I loved it. On my way home from the gym tonight, it died as I left a set of traffic lights and I had to wake it up and move on. Did that fine too.

Point is, I've amazed myself by conquering something on my own. Conquering something, I couldn't otherwise conquer even though my Dad was by my side every step of the way. I guess while he's sitting next to me, I know that I don't have to rely solely on my ability since I know that, if I mess up, he can tell me how to move on. The day came, though, when I had to push myself to do it on my own - relying on my ability alone, I managed to deal with it well - even better than I would with assistance.

I think that takes independence.

Brought back memories of other times in my life when I had to make it alone. That time when I'd cry to my best friend everytime that guy hurt me. She'd tell me everything was gonna be okay and she'd hold my hand so I could move along. There were still times I'd fail, and I'd call on her again and she'd help me back up. It continued that way until she went on her own American holiday. What was I to do? She left me her words of wisdom. With that, I managed to move further in the right direction than she was ever able to push me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, one day one might find themself alone. How do you go on without trust in your own inner strength (not to mention, some of that Divine guidance)? I've been single for so long (*cringe*) that I have no other choice but to rely on myself to make me as happy and strong as I can be. I recall stages in my life where I depended on people to make me happy - but when that went away, I needed to make sure that I could depend on Big Guy up there and myself to keep myself from losing hope and breaking down. Feels good man. Feels very good.

So I guess, when they say "Believe in Yourself" - take the advice. Never underestimate your inner strength.

Buhbye!

No comments: