Sunday, October 31, 2004

The Cookie and The Jar

Last night, at my Dad's birthday 'thing', there was tonnes of good food. I had a plate, then I went back for more. By the end of my second plate, I wish I didn't go for the second plate... indulgence sucks.

You've heard it in some form or another...
You get an inch, you go for a mile...
It's like we're rarely satisfied.

Often, going for the mile makes you wish you stayed where you were. It's a risk. There's potential disappointment and regret associated with going for the mile.

I subconsciously go for the mile, I think. I have a tendency to want more than what's given to me, even when what I have is a perfectly good deal.

It's something I want to work on. I've been given so much good stuff - and I should be happy with what I have. It sucks not having something that you think you should have.

'should have' - apparently the anthem of the idealist.

It's hard for us idealists to accept that we maybe shouldn't have what it is we think we should have.

I'm trying. I'm more than satisfied with the cookie. I'll work on not needing the jar =)

Seeya!

No comments: