Friday, October 29, 2004

from the mouth of an IDEALIST

Alicia Keys - You don't know my name

PLEASE get this song if you don't already have it. It's the B-E-S-T!

Two opinions over the past weeks...

ONE
A couple of weeks ago, Alisa and I were talking about what was so special about 'significant others'. I've always been a bit of a critic because, being single as ever, I don't like the general attitude that people need to have a 'significant others'. People need someone to care about them, look out for them, love them, feel needed, have someone to 'tell anything to', have someone to hold, experience things with etcetc...

My argument was that we could get all of that from our friends and family. That's what they're there for right? Then Alisa told me something her workmate told her...

A 'significant other' CHOOSES you, and only you

You don't choose your family...
You do choose your friends, but you're never really anyone's only friend...

... and I think that's nice. I think it'd be nice to feel like you've been chosen. Out of everyone in the whole world, this one person chooses to be with you, and only you.

But do they really...?

TWO
Enter --- -. He brought up the more-than-possibility that, x% of the time (I don't know whether to say 'some of the time' or 'most of the time' because I don't know how often this happens), it isn't about being chosen. He thinks it's about...

Being at the RIGHT PLACE, at the RIGHT TIME

(I'm being very cautious about considering that "settling" because I bet, a large proportion of the time, it isn't)

Someone that one may not have initially been drawn to one day, could be that one person they really want to be with 2 years later. Perhaps the timing wasn't right, they weren't in the right place or the right circumstances...

So which side am I on?

Being who I am personally, I want to be chosen. At the same time, I accept that the whole 'right place, right time' thing happens. It's just a concept that an idealist like me finds hard to grasp.

Ok that's it. Bye!

No comments: